Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Laid up

When I originally began Bikram, soon after the first class, my back went out in a major way. I had to take some time off from yoga because stretching proved terribly irritating to the sciatic nerve. I was distraught then, and the same thing has happened again now. This time it is much worse; I can barely turn over in bed, and lying prone is excruciating. I hear tales about people showing up to class in full-body braces and casts and what have you, and I just have to say: I am not that macho. I hope to return in a few days. A chiropractic adjustment today realigned my pelvis somewhat; the doc said I did quite a number on it. I could lie and say it's a sex sprain, but really I was just moving a couch. After falling off the Empire State Building. Damn those margaritas.

The last class I attended, a few days ago, was (despite the pain) one of those hallmark classes you remember when you tell your grandkids about walking a mile in the snow to get to a hot yoga class. Since I began yoga a year ago, the locust pose was my most challenging pose. Trying to get my palms on the floor under me was impossible. I could get one arm at a time, but my elbows screamed every time I tried. This last time I still can't believe it. I got both arms underneath me, with pinkies almost touching! And there was no screaming!



I couldn't raise my legs up at all because my back winced at the mere intention, but this was such a victory. And I hear that happens, all of a sudden - tout a coup - you can do a pose you never thought you could.

I can't WAIT to go back for more.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the warm world and congratulation on your arms! That is a major step! You will soon be able to lift your legs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you! I can't wait til that happens!

    ReplyDelete